Monday, March 5, 2012

Comfort Books

This may sound weird, but whenever I'm getting really stressed out and need to take a break, I always start re-reading books that I've read a million times before. I call them comfort books, because not only are they among my all-time favorites, but re-reading  them has a calming effect on me. Seeing the familiar words and the familiar characters helps me focus and when I'm done reading them I feel like I have a better handle on my life. I've also done this when I couldn't fall asleep a couple times and I have to tell you, it works. My go-to books are any Harry Potter book and the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce. I've read them all at least a five times each, and yet I still love them so much that they are perpetually on my "List of Books to Re-Read."   It doesn't matter if I'm in the middle of another book at the time, I set that one aside and pick up the comfort book. Am I the only one who does this? Or rather, what is the book that you re-read all the time because you love the story so much? Please let me know, I would love to hear your answers!

1 comment:

  1. I have never actually thought to read a "comfort" book when I'm stressed; usually, I just sleep for that. But now I really want to try! I have several books on my bookshelf that are my "go-to" book, as you called them: As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway, The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot and The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. All three calm a little part of me and make me feel right at home.
    PS. I did try to italicize, but I don't know how in the comment box! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete